Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Toe Trauma

The Princess in her Barbie Jeep!
Last Friday after the softball double header, I was freezing. The temp was in the fifties, it was windy and it was drizzling, the whole time. When the games were over I decided to stop at the gas station on my way home and get a hot Chai tea to warm me up. It seemed like a splendid idea. I guess I was over over anxious though because when I got there and opened the big, heavy metal and glass door, I somehow forgot to pull my foot back out of the way. You know what happened then! I opened the door part way over my foot. I just stood there for a second (probably a few) and couldn't move. It hurt bad. I did manage to get my tea and get back into the van. Before I got home, I knew my big toe was bleeding because it was squishy feeling in my sock. By the time I got home, the blood had soaked through my shoe and sock. Gross! I didn't want to take my shoe off, it hurt too bad. Obviously I knew I had to - but still. For whatever reason my family found the whole thing rather humorous and cracked a few jokes at my expense. I heard a few comments about calling the "toe" truck. Aren't they the funny ones? When I took off my shoe and sock my toe was bleeding from the base of my toe nail and from under the top of it. Gross! And it hurt - bad. The whole toe nail on my big toe was dark purple. Gross! The King suggested I put some ice on it right away to keep the swelling down. The ice certainly helped the pain and it must have helped the swelling and the coloring, too, because the next morning the nail was no longer purple. It still doesn't look normal, but it looks much better than it did!
Are you wondering why I am sharing this with you? Are you excited to know about my toe trauma? I guess the moral of the story is to be sure you always get your feet out of the way when opening a door. And if you forget to do that, put ice on your toe!
A friend of mine showed me how to scan pictures and convert them into a different image, so I figured you would rather look at a pic of our Princess as a young one rather than my ugly toe!

2 comments:

  1. Gad, it's impossible to believe how much she's grown up! And driving now for real! Hopefully better than she did then or at least with a little less enthusiasm. I remember the wheelies she did with the jeep and how it took you guys awhile to figure out why she was blowing fuses so often. Maybe you can take the fuse out of her car now so she doesn't grow up so fast. I miss the that adorable little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a cutie! Glad you got the picture thing figured out...

    I hope your toe feels better, Candy. Gives me the willies thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete