Monday, March 8, 2010

Precious

pic courtesy of allposters.com

Just after we started singing the first song in church yesterday, I happened to look over to my left and saw a young Mom holding her two or three year old girl. One look at the little girl and you knew she didn’t feel well. Her little cheeks were flushed, her eyes had a glassy look to them and her tiny nose was all red. If that wasn’t enough to let anyone know she was sick the fact that Mom was holding a Kleenex in her other hand was a sure give-away. I felt sorry for the Mom and the little girl, we have all been there.

A few songs later I looked at them again and the little girl was sound asleep. What a relief for the Mom. How comfortable, safe and secure that young child must have felt in her Mama’s arms; listening to her Mom singing praises to Jesus in her ears.

I wonder if that little girl will remember being held in church as a wee one by her parents when she grows older. I wonder if my own children remember that. I will have to ask them tonight. Do they remember sitting on my lap playing with my fingers and rings because they were bored, but at least they were quiet and sitting still. I wonder if they remember a few times when they weren’t sitting still or being quiet and we had to go remedy the situation?!! A quick trip to the washroom always made a child sit very quiet and still in church for the next several months!

Seeing that Mom hold her little girl made me think of a verse in Proverbs. Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.
~ Proverbs 22:6 nlt I hope and pray that my own children, along with other young children that are raised to love Jesus, will not leave that path. I want my children to get plugged into a church and follow Christ when they are adults. I pray that they will raise their children in a church where the Gospel is preached. I hope to one day see my own children hold their babies during church services just as their Dad and I held them.

I know I missed the point of a few messages as I was holding one of my babies. I was too busy looking and thinking about the gift God had given me rather than on what the pastor was saying!

3 comments:

  1. I remember 40 years ago holding a little girl who I loved as much as if she were my own. Cause at that time I didn't have any of my own it was not until a year and 10 days later that that happened. I just wonder if that little girl remembers how precious she was and how important she was to her aunt and uncle way back then. If not I just want to wish her a happy birthday and let her know she is still that same special little girl to us now as she was 40 years ago. Just grew up a little tho. Hope you had a great day. Love You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Any. Your kids are special too. Happy Birthday to your oldest. The 10 days are up. Are we old enough to have kids that age?? Maybe you but not me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Bug is still alive, just very busy with a new job. Hopefully she will get back to this sometime.

    ReplyDelete