Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How Funky Is Your Chicken?




The quilt shop in my mother-in-law's hometown is giving you the background material and asking you to make a chicken block out of it and return your block to them. When they have enough chicken blocks to make a quilt, they have a volunteer put the quilt together. The quilt will then be sold or raffled, I don't know which they are doing, and the money will go to the domestic abuse shelter. You may also donate finished quilts to the shelter. They try to supply all of the ladies and children with a homemade quilt when they leave the shelter. You may go here to view free patterns of other chickens and critters!
I normally don't enjoy doing applique projects. When the quilt shop owner asked me if I would do one, I was hesitant to take her chicken wire material. The Princess opens her big yap and says, "Take it, Mom, I'll do it". I accepted the material, thinking, "Whew, I got out of that one!" By the time we finished shopping and got back out to the van, the Princess informed me she didn't know if she would have time to do the block because she had graduation gifts to finish and two summer jobs. Great! Now I have to make the stupid chicken. It actually was fun, simple and not too putzy, though. I did not mind it all once I got started!
The top picture has the eye sitting on, but not sewn on yet. I don't know if I like the eye or not. Do you think I should make a different color eye, embroider one on or not have an eye on there at all? The King says the chicken has to have an eye, it would be rude to give someone a blind chicken. I see his point, but I also thought it looks a little too busy with all the stitching in that small area. Any ideas, input or opinions?

3 comments:

  1. I like your funky chicken. He's adorable. And what a wonderful gift to give quilts to abuse victims. I can't think of anything more healing to wrap up in.

    I think you need an eye that is a contrasting color so that it will show. But I am wondering about a button? Like a white button or something? It would give it an extra depth. And white would contrast without adding pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becky. The chicken is adorable and will be a wonderful way to help those who definitely need some love and compassion. A white/off-white button would make a cool eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am glad you decided to use a button. I hope you'll let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete