Monday, May 3, 2010

May 2010

What an exciting month this will be! Trucker gets his learning permit (we called it our temps back in the day), whatever you call it - but he will have his temporary drivers license today. Hopefully. If I can find his social security card. So far we are not doing well on the search!

This month our Princess will be going to her first prom! She is pumped. After prom a few students will be coming back to our house for the rest of the night. I believe the plan is to eat some (probably lots) of food, watch movies and stay up all night long. Sunday morning they are all planning on wearing their formal attire to church. I look forward to that every year; seeing the students wear their prom gear to church. It's not too often we get to see them all dudded up!

This month our Princess turns seventeen! Seventeen! That means it is our last year to be responsible for her. After that we can no longer make decisions for her. We can certainly encourage her and give advice when asked (maybe even when not asked!), but she will be a legal adult in one year.

These are all good things! All of the above mentioned items will give us plenty to pray for and be thankful for. I am thankful that Trucker can finally get his learners permit. This is the beginning of his dream. Ever since he could verbalize his thoughts, he has told us he wants to be a truck driver. You go, Walk! Chase them dreams, work for them and achieve them. I will be praying for safety in all driving adventures he has coming his way. Driving as a new driver, driving as an adult in a few years and driving the big rig someday!

I am thankful that our Princess is excited about prom and that she wants to bring friends back to our home after the dance. I am thankful that other parents trust us enough that they will let their babies come to our home after prom. We all know there are some activities after prom that are not what we want our children participating in. I will be praying that all students will be smart on prom night and for the safety of all of them.

I am thankful that our Princess is growing into a lovely young lady. I'm thankful that God has given us the gift of that beautiful young lady. I will be praying that during her last year as a minor, we can continue to teach her to be a God fearing, law abiding citizen.

She did give me a laugh this morning, too. When I got into my office and tore April off of the calendar, I saw a few little notes she left me for the month of May. May 6th has a note, "2 weeks til Bessie's b-day: think about present". May 13th says, "1 week til Bessie's b-day, buy present". May 20th says, "Bessie's b-day!". I think I am going to make a visit to her bedroom today and start marking her calendar for Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I like the new look and love the lilacs, but the words get lost in the bushes! Tell Jess she did a good job on the new format. And Tell your new driver "Congrats!". Maybe Grandpa will be brave and let him drive him around this weekend some. Looking forward to spending Mothers' Day with you.

    ReplyDelete